Thursday, August 11, 2016

Too good to be true?

My pregnancy has been pretty easy thus far and I'm at 34-36 weeks today.  No morning sickness, no fatigue, no pain, no cravings, no stretch marks, no nesting, I've only gained 5lbs, and I can still sleep on my back with no problems.  In fact, I think I'm getting a good 6 hours of sleep at night! (Don't be jealous!)

However, my recent appointment has made me wonder if all is okay.  Did some research on preeclampsia today and it's no laughing matter.  If you are experiencing headaches, swelling of the feet, legs, hands or face, experiencing dizziness, or blurred vision, contact your doctor right away.  You may be experiencing the onset of preeclampsia and is potentially very dangerous for you and your baby.  According to the Mayo Clinic:

Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, often the kidneys. Preeclampsia usually begins after 20 weeks of pregnancy in a woman whose blood pressure had been normal. Even a slight rise in blood pressure may be a sign of preeclampsia.
Left untreated, preeclampsia can lead to serious — even fatal — complications for both you and your baby. If you have preeclampsia, the only cure is delivery of your baby.
If you're diagnosed with preeclampsia too early in your pregnancy to deliver your baby, you and your doctor face a challenging task. Your baby needs more time to mature, but you need to avoid putting yourself or your baby at risk of serious complications.
So, that got me to thinking and doing even more research which lead to me calling my Dr.'s nurse.   I wanted to know if I am diagnosed with preeclampsia at my next appointment if they would either a) send me to L&D right then to induce/section me  b) schedule induction/section or  c)who knows.  The nurse said it all depends on the doctor and what they think.  (I've read that a systolic of 160 or a diastolic of 95 will do it.)  But she said, "I'd just be prepared, if I were you, and bring my hospital bag just in case."  Yikes!  The crib for our son isn't supposed to be delivered until the 16th and my next appointment is the 12th!

At any rate, I'm sitting here checking off items on my hospital bag.  I'll make another post with the things I'm including based on tons of Googling!

No comments:

Post a Comment