Sunday, July 24, 2016

Low-carbing while pregnant and dealing with emotions

I've usually been a pretty even tempered person, but I've noticed that my emotions are running away with me as of late.  I'll hear a song on the radio and have to fight back the urge to cry... or someone says something that I construe as mean (while they may or may not mean it that way)... I want to yell vicious things at them and make them feel smaller than a skin cell.  I reluctantly admitted this to my bf yesterday and he said he was happy that at least I knew it was my hormones and he would try to be more sensitive.  (God bless that man.  We have so much stress in our lives right now due to a financial issue, so he's having to work a ton of overtime at a dangerous job he can't stand so we can buy stuff for our son.  Despite it all, he's still be the most loving, thoughtful, and comforting man I've ever known.  He rubs/kisses my growing belly at night, helps me up if I've been sitting on the floor even though I don't ask for help, he holds my hand and opens doors for me, and we go out on dates when he's not having to work very late.  :) )

Anyway, to combat the runaway emotions, I've found that taking a time-out so-to-speak helps a lot.  I need to go someplace quiet, such as our bedroom, sit in the dark, listen to soft music and take several deep breaths while thinking about my mood.  Is it really worth my stress?  Usually, it's not.  Within a few minutes, I'm back to myself.  :)

On a different note, since I'm wanting to maintain my weight and not gain a ton, I'm practicing a low-carb routine of 3 days on, 2 days off.  So far it's been working rather well.  I spoke with my doctor on the safety of doing a low carb diet while pregnant and her response was "Babies are made up of protein and water.  Fat mothers are made up of carbs and soda.  Just be sure you're eating plenty of veggies, drinking a ton of water, and taking the prenatal vitamins."  Being 40, I would like to shed the baby weight as quickly as possible... but my age makes it harder than it was at 25.  I don't want to be a fat parent as I want to do things with my son.  Because of that, I'm making a marked effort to be healthier than I was before I knew I was pregnant.  We have a flowerbed garden with green beans, cucumbers, peppers, and zucchini in full swing, which is great right now!  (Miracle Grow is the best!  Just sayin'!)

No comments:

Post a Comment